THE FOUNDLING HOSPITAL.
As things are at present, the Foundling Hospital has a misleading title, for children are now only admitted to it on the personal application of their mothers. The institution was established by Captain Thomas Coram in 1739 for deserted children; and at that time the Guildford Street district consisted of green fields. The yearly income of the Hospital, owing to the increased value of the estate, is about £13000, and some five hundred boys and girls are cared for by the charity. The roof surmounted by a cross is that of the chapel and the Sunday morning service, at which the children sing, accompanied by the organ presented by Handel, one of the benefactors of the Hospital is among the most popular in London. After service, visitors are allowed to see the valuable pictures and other treasures in the western wing