THE ROYAL EXCHANGE.
Few edifices in London are more imposing than the Royal Exchange, with its stately Corinthian portico. It was built by Tite in 1842-4, on the site of Gresham's Exchange. In the tympanum is a group representing the Sovereignty of Commerce, while below are inscribed the words The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof. Business is transacted in the building of an afternoon, the attendance being greatest on Tuesdays and Fridays. On the left of the Royal Exchange is the Bank of England, at one end of Threadneedle Street. The equestrian statue in front represents Wellington, and is an excellent specimen of Chantrey's work. The open space bounded by the Exchange, the Bank, and the Mansion house is perhaps the busiest in all the City.