NEW BRIDGE STREET, BLACKFRIARS.
New Bridge Street is a busy thoroughfare leading from Blackfriars Bridge to Ludgate Circus, at the east end of Fleet Street. Our view is taken from the south-west corner of the yard in front of Ludgate Hill (London, Chatham, and Dover) Station, and opposite this vantage point is Bridewell Place, called after an old well of St. Bridget's that gave its name in turn to a palace and a prison. Ludgate Circus is indicated hr the two obelisks, one of them erected in 1775 to the glory of John Wilkes, Lord Mayor, and the other, in 1833, to the memory of Alderman Waithman. The building with the tower on the east side of Farringdon Street is the Memorial Hall, belonging to the Congregational denomination, and farther still, spanning the street, is Holborn Viaduct.