Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 -  The Albert Memorial Chapel, Windsor, looking West

Albert Memorial Chapel - photograph


This resplendent building, which adjoins St. George's Chapel, was restored by Queen Victoria as a memorial of the late Prince Consort, and the work was superintended by Sir Gilbert Scott. It was originally built by Henry VII. for his own mausoleum. The Albert Chapel, which has one of the most richly decorated interiors in the world, now contains the sarcophaguses of the Prince Consort, the Duke of Albany, and the Duke of Clarence. The first of these is in the foreground of our picture, with fine reliefs and a recumbent statue of Prince Albert, the work of Triqueti, who also executed the Scriptural scenes that are inlaid with marble on the walls. The ceiling and the false window at the west end are inlaid with Venetian glass mosaic by Salviati. The statues by the door represent the Angels of Life and Death.