ST. GEORGE'S CATHEDRAL.
It is rather curious that at the very spot where Lord George Gordon's "No Popery " rioters assembled at the end of the last century, St. Georges Roman Catholic Cathedral should have been erected. Pugin, the architect, followed the Gothic style, and the work of building was begun in 1840 and dubbed, with the exception of the tower, in 1848, the cost being £35,000. The Cathedral, which nearly faces Bethlehem Hospital, is badly cramped for space by the surrounding roads. Inside it is 240 feet long by 70 feet wide. The handsome pulpit is constructed of Caen stone. While the chancel and some parts of the Cathedral compel admiration, the general effect of the interior is undeniably bare. It was here that Dr. Wiseman was installed Archbishop of Westminster.