PUTNEY BRIDGE, FROM THE MIDDLESEX BANK.
Putney Bridge is a graceful stone structure of five arches, connecting Putney, on the Surrey side of the Thames, with Fulham, on the Middlesex batik. The present bridge, superseding an ugly black structure, was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in the spring of 1886. It cost £240,000, and was designed by the late Sir J. W. Bazalgette. The surrounding district is very pleasant Above bridge is Fulham Palace, the residence of the Bishops of London since the first half of the thirteenth century and at the respective ends of the bridge are Putney and Fulham churches. Putney is a great rowing centre; and the Thames championship course, over which the Oxford and Cambridge boatrace is rowed annually, extends from a short distance above the bridge to Mortlake.