Just outside the town of Bromley is the Palace shown in our picture. As early as the eighth century the Bishops of Rochester owned the manor, but on the rearrangement of the diocese it passed into the hands of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who sold it in 1845 to Mr. Coles Child. A place at Danbury, near Chelmsford, was given to the Sea in exchange for Bromley. The original Bromley Palace is supposed to date from 1100, but the present house was erected in 1775 by Bishop Thomas. It is a substantially built mansion of red-brick with stone dressings, in the style characteristic of the period, and over the porch may be noticed the carved arms of the See. The park in which the Palace is agreeably situated is a fine one, set about with well-grown trees.