GREENWICH HOSPITAL: THE PAINTED HALL.
In the south-west block of Greenwich Hospital, known as King William Building, is the famous Painted Hall, designed by Wren as a refectory. It is one hundred feet long by fifty feet high and broad, and has a raised upper hall, containing Nelson relics, and a cupola. Sir James Thornhill painted the allegorical pictures on the ceiling and the wall, during the years 1708-27, being paid three pounds per square yard for the former work, and one pound a yard for the latter. In 1823 this refectory was transformed into a not-too-well-lighted gallery for the exhibition of pictures, executed by some of our most famous artists, of great sea-fights and of distinguished naval heroes. The Painted Hall is open to the public on Sundays as well as on weekdays.