A delightful view of the once royal town of Richmond and of splendidly-wooded Richmond Hill is obtainable from the tow-path below the Bridge. This structure, in which "Attic elegance and strength unite,'' cost £26,000, and was erected in 1777. It serves to connect Richmond with St. Margarets, on the Middlesex side. The campanile on the left lends a foreign aspect to the town as seen in our picture. The famous . Star and Garter crowns the hill further on. Here the Thames runs swiftly, although less so than before the new lock was built a little lower down, as boating parties well know. Between the bank and the island on the right there is generally a fishing party moored in a punt and the sailing barges higher up are familiar objects.