BETHNAL GREEN MUSEUM.
South Kensington Museum has a branch at Bethnal Green. a red-brick building with an iron interior, in the Cambridge Road, which connects Mile End Road with Mare Street, Hackney. This Museum was opened in 1872, by the Prince and Princess of Wales and it owes its establishment to the untiring efforts of various workers among the poor in the East End, and its immediate success to the late Sir Richard Wallace, who lent the art treasures collected by the late Marquis of Hertford. The things permanently housed here have to do mostly with animal and waste products, food, and entomology, the remaining space being occupied by loan exhibits. The national collection of portraits was hung here until the completion of the new gallery in St. Martin's Place. In front of the Museum is a handsome majolica fountain.