THE PRIORY, NORTH BANK (GEORGE ELIOT'S HOUSE).
Few houses in London, it has been remarked, have been the scene of stronger and more interesting emotions than the Priory, 21, North Bank, Regent's Park, a dwelling-place differing little in outward appearance from others in the district. It was to this house that George Eliot came with George Henry Lewes in 1864, and it remained the great novelist's home until her marriage with Mr. John Cross in 1880, seven months before her death. The Priory is closely associated with the writing of "Felix Holt" "Middlemarch," and "Daniel Deronda." Here, too, George Eliot held her famous Sunday afternoon at homes, which were attended by most of the literary celebrities of the time.