for the Preservation of Life from Fire: office, 47 Ludgate Hill; secretary,
Mr. S. Low, jun.; was first established in 1836, but not fully organised until
1843. It maintains, in different parts of the Metropolis, 73 fire-escape
stations, usually at distances of about half a mile from each other. At each
station there is a fire-escape, attended throughout the night by a conductor
well instructed in its use, and provided with all necessary implements. From
1843 to March 31, 1861, the Society's fire-escapes have attended no less than
5211 fires, and rescued 670 lives. Great - as is the amount of good represented
by these simple figures, much more would have been and could be effected - if
the public tendered a more liberal and constant support. The total receipts for
1861 were 7794l. 17s. 2d., which, with the balance from 1860, gives an
aggregate of 8843l. 4s. 0d. The expenditure amounted to 7470l. 3s.
9d., leaving a balance in hand of 1373l. 0s. 3d. The fire-escape in use
is Abraham Wivell's; its height varies from 43 ft. to 45 ft., and by means of a
supplemental ladder even 60 feet can, if necessary, be obtained. Each machine
weighs 8 1/2 cwt., and costs 60l.