It would scarcely be credited that, in splendid London, women are subjected to various kinds of severe and repulsive toil .... For example, the porterage of meat at the wholesale markets, as Newgate and Leadenhall, is performed by women, many of them old. You will see these wretched creatures stagger under the weight of a side of beef, or having an entire sheep upon their heads, conveying their burdens to the butchers carts, drawn up in the vicinity of the market ...
The World of London, by John Murray, in Blackwoods Magazine, July 1841
Leadenhall Market is the greatest market in London for the sale of country-killed meat, particularly beef, and was till lately the only skin and leather market in the metropolis.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844
from The Illustrated London News, 1845
LEADENHALL MARKET, between Gracechurch Street, and the East India House. A large market for butchers' meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, leather, hides, bacon and such like, originally established in Eastcheap. ... The market escaped the Great Fire, and the chapel, a small well-proportioned Perpendicular building, was not taken down till June, 1812. ... Leadenhall is no longer celebrated for its beef, but is deservedly esteemed as the largest and best poultry market in London.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
click here for Henry
Mayhew on Costermongers and Leadenhall Market in
London Labour and the London Poor
Leadenhall Market, the first turning on the right, east from Cornhill, is for the sale of poultry, dead and alive, also for the sale of the hides and horns of cattle; calves and pigs only are here slaughtered; upon an average there are thirty-five to forty salesmen, who kill upon an average from 300 to 100 sheep per week, and occasionally some of them slaughter as many as 300 to 400 sheep each per week.
London Exhibited in 1852, 1852
see also W.J.Gordon in article 'The Feeding of London' - click hereVictorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Leadenhall Market
Leadenhall, the chief market for poultry and game in London, is one of the sights of the metropolis, especially at Christmastide. On this spot, off Leadenhall Street, stood Sir Hugh Neville's house, which was converted into a market as far back as 1445. It was rebuilt in 1730, and again in 1879. As our view shows, the structure is spacious, light, and airy. In Charles II. s time Leadenhall Market was considered a marvel, and the Spanish ambassador is reported to have remarked to the king that more meat was sold therein than in all the kingdom of Spain. It was formerly also a leather market and its purlieus are now well-known to the "fancy" who deal in dogs. Leadenhall is one of the markets under the control of the City Corporation.