[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Police Office, 4,
Whitehall-place, S.W. —Commissioner’s office hours, 11
till 5; office of Receiver for the Metropolitan Police District hours, 10
till 4 (See
POLICE) —NEAREST Railway Stations, Charing-cross
(SE. and Dist.); Omnibus Routes, Whitehall
and Strand; Cab Rank,
Mexico.—CONSULATE, 4, Adam’s-court, Old Broad-street. —NEAREST Railway Station, Bishopsgate; Omnibus Routes, Old Broad-street and Bishopsgate. street; Cab Rank, New Broad-st.
Middlesex Sessions House, Clerkenwell-green, near Farringdon-road. NEAREST Railway Station, Farringdon-street; Omnibus Routes, Exmouth-street and Goswell-road; Cab Rank, Opposite,
Military Home District (Head Quarters, Horse Guards, London) comprising Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, City of London, Middlesex, Oxfordshire, Surrey, Tower Hamlets
INFANTRY SUB-DISTRICTS AND BRIGADES
SUB-DISTRICT NO.41 (County of Berks.)
Brigade No.41 (Berkshire)
1st Line Bn. 49 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 66 Foot
Militia Bn. Royal Berks. Reading
Brig. Dep. (No.41) Reading
Volunteers 1st Berks Reading
SUB-DISTRICT NO.42 (Counties of Oxford and Bucks.)
Brigade No.42 (Oxford and Bucks)
1st Line Bn. 52 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 85 Foot
1st Militia Bn. Royal Bucks. High Wycombe
2nd Militia Bn. Oxford Oxford
Brig. Dep. (No.42) Oxford
Volunteers 1st Oxford Oxford
Volunteers 2nd Oxford Oxford
Volunteers 1st Bucks. Great Marlow
SUB-DISTRICT NO.47 (County of Surrey)
Brigade No.47 (Surrey)
1st Line Bn. 31 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 70 Foot
1st Militia Bn. 1st Roy. Sur. Kingston
2nd Militia Bn. 3rd Roy. Sur. Kingston
Brig. Dep. (No.47) Kingston
Volunteers 1 A.B. Surrey Clapham
Volunteers 2 A.B. Surrey Kingston
Volunteers 1st Surrey Camberwell
Volunteers 7th Surrey Southwark
SUB-DISTRICT NO.48 (County of Surrey)
Bridge No. 48 (Surrey)
1st Line Bn. 1 Bn. 2 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 2 Bn. 2 Foot
Militia Bn. 2nd Roy. Sur. Guildford
Brig. Dep. (No. 48) Guildford
Volunteers 3 A.B. Surrey Dorking
Volunteers 4 A.B. Surrey Rotherhithe
Volunteers 2nd Surrey Croydon
Volunteers 19th Surrey Kennington
SUB-DISTRICTS NOS. 49 & 50 (County of Middlesex and Metropolitan)
Brigade No. 49 (Middlesex and Metropolitan)
1st Line Bn. 1 Bn.7 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 2 Bn. 7 Foot
1st Militia Bn. 3rd Middlesex Turnham Grn.
2nd Militia Bn. 4th Middlesex Hounslow
Brig. Dep. (No.49) Hounslow
Volunteers 9th Middlesex Lord’s Cricket Ground
Volunteers 18th (att.) Harrow
Volunteers 40th Midsx. Gray’s-inn-pl.
Volunteers 46th Midsx. Westminster
Brigade No. 50 (Middlesex and Metropolitan)
1st Line Bn. 57 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 77 Foot
1st Militia Bn. R.East Midx. Hampstead
2nd Militia Bn. 5th Middlesex Uxbridge
Brig. Dep. (No.50) Hounslow
Volunteers 2 A.B.Midsx. Hornsey
Volunteers 7 A.B. Midsx. Hounslow
Volunteers 29th Midsx. Pratt-street
BRIGADE NOS. 51 & 52 (60th Rifles)
1st Line Bn. 1 Bn. 60 Foot
2nd Line Bn. 2 Bn. 60 Foot
3rd Line Bn. 43 Bn. 60 Foot
4th Line Bn. 4 Bn. 60 Foot
1st Militia Bn. Roy. London Artillery-pl, Finsbury
2nd Militia Bn. 2nd Middlsx. Barnet
Brig. Dep. (NOS.51 & 52) Winchester
Volunteers 1st London Finsbury-pl. south
Volunteers 2nd London Holborn-circus
Volunteers 3rd London Farringdon-st.
Volunteers 2nd Middlesex Walham-grn
Volunteers 4th Middlesex Regent-st.
Volunteers 11th Middlesex Mill-st., W.
Volunteers 1st (attached) S.John’s Wood
Volunteers 19th Middlesex Fitzroy-sq. W.
Volunteers 20th Middlesex Euston-sq.
Volunteers 21st Midsx. Somerset House
Volunteers 50th (att.) Somerset House
Volunteers 22nd Middlesex. Westminster
BRIGADE NOS. 53 & 54 (Rifle Brigade)
1st Line Bn. 1 Bn. Rif. Brig.
2nd Line Bn. 2 Bn. Rif. Brig.
3rd Line Bn. 3 Bn. Rif. Brig.
4th Line Bn. 4 Bn. Rif. Brig.
1st Militia Bn. Queen’s Own Victoria Park Square
1st Militia Bn. R.Twr.Ham Victoria Park Square
2nd Militia Bn. King’s Own Dalston
2nd Militia Bn. R.Twr.Ham Dalston
Brig. Dep. (NOS.53 & 54) Winchester
Volunteers 15th Mdlsx. Adam-st. Adelphi
Volunteers 23rd Middlesex Lincoln’s Inn
Volunteers 26th Middlesex Custom House
Volunteers 28th Middlesex King Will-st. W.C.
Volunteers 36th Middlesex Paddington
Volunteers 37th Middlesex Foundling Hospital
Volunteers 38th Middlesex Hanover-sq.
Volunteers 39th Middlesex Pentonville
Volunteers 49th Middlesex Charing-cr.
Volunteers 1 A.B. Twr.Ham. Quaker-st., E.
Volunteers 1st Twr.Haml. Shaftesbury-st., Hoxton
REGULAR TROOPS—Artillery — 2nd Batt. 8th Brig., 8th Batt. 9th Brig., and 18th Batt. 11th Brig Engineers — 34th Company.
MILITIA.—Artillery— Northumberland, Argyle and Bute, and Antrim Regiments.
VoLUNTEERS.— Infantry—Detachments from the County of Middlesex. Artillery—Detachments from the Counties of Middlesex and 1st Kent Corps. Engineers — Detachments from the County of Middlesex.
PENSIONERS.—Infantry—Of the London District. 1st East Division, 2nd do.; 1st West Divislon, 2nd do.; 1st North Division, 2nd do.; South Division; Woolwich and Greenwich.
Milk. — London milk-sellers are supplied partly from cowsheds in London itself, partly from numerous farms in all parts of the country, brought within easy reach by the railway system. Milk is, unfortunately, as recent experience has proved, often the source of, or rather, perhaps, the means of spreading, serious epidemics of typhoid, diphtheria, and scarlatina. The Adulteration Act made it a penal offence to sell milk and water as “milk” and an Order in Council has recently been issued (4th February, 1879) for the registration, regulating, and cleansing of dairies milk shops, &c. It is almost impossible for small proprietors of milk businesses to properly carry out the sanitary arrangements necessary to secure freedom from contamination of milk. A medical inspector to frequently inspect and report upon the farms from whence the supplies are obtained; an engineer to supervise the water supply and drainage; care taken of the employes in London, by giving them suitable dwellings for themselves and families, so as to avoid the probability of their living in wretched and crowded tenements; and staff of inspectors to guard against malpractices on the part of the milk-carriers, are precautions that can rarely be adopted by private milk-sellers. It is only to companies with large capital at command that the necessary precautions and supervision can be thoroughly carried out. A system comprising such arrangements given above may be seen in operation in the establishments of the London and Provincial Dairy Company, and the Aylesbury Dairy Company. Much confusion was caused by an ingenious person who discovered an ambiguity in the Adulteration Act, and who unfortunately succeeded in inducing several magistrates to adopt his views. According to the judgments delivered in accordance with the reading of the Act, no public inspector buying goods for the purpose of analysis could be prejudiced if they were adulterated and consequently no penalties could be en forced. This for a time frustrated the undoubted object of the legislature. Fortunately in March last the superior court, on appeal, adopted the common-sense view, and the provisions of the Act are now again in useful operation.
Millbank Prison stands on the river bank, near Vauxhall-bridge. It is built on Benthams “Panopticon” plan, six different buildings radiating from a common centre. The building is intended to hold 1,000 prisoners, and cost half-a-million, which, with ground rent, &c., represents an outlay per head for rent, &c, of about £50 per annum, or, as the prison is rarely more than half full, practically not far short of £100. Prisoners pass through here from Newgate and elsewhere as the first stage of “penal servitude,” and the discipline is somewhat severe. Orders to view from Home Secretary, or Directors of Convict Prisons, 44 Parliament-street, S.W. NEAREST Railway Station, Vauxhall; Omnibus Routes, Vauxhall-bridge-road and Palace-road ; Cab Rank, Vauxhall-bridge.
Mines, Royal School of, Jermyn-street. — The School of Mines, which was established in 1851, was really a product of the geological survey of the United Kingdom, begun by Sir Henry de la Beche in 1834. The principal object of the institution has always been, and is, to discipline the students thoroughly in the principles of those sciences upon which the operations of the miner and metallurgist depend. The professors attached to the school lecture on the following subjects: Mining, mineralogy, chemistry, general natural history, physics, applied mechanics, metallurgy, geology, and mechanical drawing. The fee for a course of 40 or more lectures is £4; for 30, and under 40, £3. Students passing the examination of the third year in the first-class receive an official certificate as Associates of the Royal School of Mines. There are various exhibitions, scholarships, and free admissions attached to the school, as to which information can be obtained of the registrar. At suitable periods during the year lectures are given in the evening to working men. These courses are systematic, and are so arranged as to illustrate, within two years, the principal subjects taught at the institution.—(See GEOLOGICAL MUSEUM.)
Mint, Royal, Little Tower.-hill. Hours 10 till 4.—Contains some of the most beautiful and delicate automatic machinery the world. The process of converting bar gold into coins of exactly the same size, and the same weight to half a grain, can be see here in perfection. Until recently the Royal Mint was the only place whence gold coinage was issued having currency in the United Kingdom and its colonies, but of late years mints have been established in Sydney and in Melbourne whence by every mail arrives a large influx of colonial gold coin. Applications to view the Mint should be made in writing to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. The orders are, however, rather charily given—NEAREST Railway Stations Cannon-street (SE.) and Fenchurch-street; Omnibus Route; Fenchurch-street and Aldersgate, Cab Rank, Royal Mint-street.
Miscellaneous Societies, —The following are the principal miscellaneous societies, with the objects and terms of subscription according to official returns furnished, at the Editor’s request, by their respective secretaries. The societies omitted are those from which his request for information has failed to elicit any reply:
AMATEUR MECHANICAL SOCIETY, 5, Robert-street, Adelphi —Subscription: £1 1s.; entrance fee, £1 1s. Object: To serve as means of communication between amateurs. There is a workshop at the rooms in Robert- street, and periodical meetings are held there
AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHIC ASSOCIATION, 12, York-place, Portman-square. —Subscription: Annual, £1 1s. Object: The advancement of amateur photography
ANTI-ADULTERATION ASSOCIATION, 6, Spur-street, Leicester-square—Object: For enforcing and amending the laws against adulteration.
BRITISH NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SPIRITUALIST5, 38, Great Russell-street.— Subscription: From 5s. per annum and upwards, according to privileges granted. Object: Investigation of phenomena known as spiritual or psychic.
BRITISH SCANDINAVIAN SOCIETY LIMITED, 158, Leadenhall-street. — Subscription: £1 1s. Proposed by any other member and seconded. Object: To afford to ladies and gentlemen interested in Scandinavia, opportunities of mutual intercourse by means of occasional meetings, at which papers may be read and discussed on Scandinavian literature, language, history, topography, geology, &c. To establish, under regulations to be framed by the committee, a lending library of books likely to interest the members- To assist such members as may desire it, to make arrangements for instruction in the Scandinavian languages. To interchange information as to routes, &c in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland, and to improve the steamer communication with the west coast of Norway.
CITY CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD PR0TECTION SOCIETY, 22, Charterhouse-sq. —Subscription No pecuniary liability attaches to any person becoming a member; but, if necessary, the members will be asked for small donations for working expenses. Object: Expressed in title.
COMMONS PRESERVATION SOCIETY, 1, Great College-street, Westminster. Supported by donations and subscriptions of different amounts. Object: Expressed in title.
FOOD REFORM SOCIETY, Franklin Hall, 30, Castle-street east, Oxford-street. — Subscription 2s. 6d. per annum, donations, and sale of pamphlets. Object: Advocating the adoption of a diet from which all flesh meat is excluded.
HARLEIAN SOCIETY, 24, Wardour-street. —Subscription: Entrance fee, 10s. 6d.; annual subscription £1 1s., and to register section £1 1s. Object: The publication of heraldic visitations of counties, and manuscripts relating to heraldry, genealogy, and family history; also the publication of parish registers.
HOME REUNION SOCIETY, 7, Whitehall. — Subscription (minimum): 2s. 6d. per annum. Object: To promote a better understanding with Nonconformists.
LONDON CONGREGATIONAL UNION, Memorial Hall, Farringdon-street. Object: To promote the spiritual intercommunion of the congregational churches of the metropolis, to advance their common interests and to facilitate the expression of their opinions upon religious and social questions.
METROPOLITAN MUNICIPAL ASSOCIATION, 21, Regent-street.
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF SOCIAL SCIENCE, WITH WHICH IS UNITED THE SOCIETY FOR PROMOTING THE AMENDMENT OF THE LAW. 1, Adam-street, Adelphi, London. —Annual subscription Full member, £2 2s. ordinary member, £1 1s. ; associate, 10s. 6d. Object: To spread a knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence, to consider the best practical means of promoting the amendment of the law, the advancement of education, the prevention and repression of crime, the reformation of criminals, the organisation and administration of the sanitary laws, the adoption of health regulations, the diffusion of sound principles on questions of economy and trade, the best methods of cultivating a taste for art, and to aid in the development of social science generally.
NATIONAL SUNDAY LEAGUE, 25, Bloomsbury-street, Oxford-street—Subscription : From £1 per annum upwards. Object: To obtain the opening of the national museums, art galleries, and libraries, on Sundays.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF ENGLAND, 7, East India-avenue.— The whole finance of the Church, embracing 269 congregations, together with the mission and other machinery, is managed from this office. The church represents the Presbyterians of the Commonwealth, ejected in 1662 from the Church of England, together with Presbyterian immigrants from Scotland and Ireland. Income for 1877, £228,726 13s. For 1878 not yet made up.
ROYAL COLONIAL INSTITUTE, 15, Strand—Subscription. Resident fellows’ entrance fee, £3, annual, £2; non-resident fellows, £1 1s., and no entrance fee. Resident fellows can become life members on payment of £20, and non-resident fellows on payment of £10. Objects: To provide a place of meeting for all gentlemen connected with the Colonies and British India, and others taking an interest in colonial and Indian affairs; to establish a reading-room and library, in which recent and authentic intelligence upon Colonial and Indian subjects may be constantly available, and a museum for the collection and exhibition of Colonial and Indian productions; to facilitate inter-change of experiences amongst persons representing all the dependencies of Great Britain ; to afford opportunities for the reading of papers, and for holding discussions upon Colonial and Indian subjects generally; and to undertake scientific, literary, and statistical investigations in connection with the British Empire. But no paper shall be read, or any discussion be permitted to take place, tending to give the institute a party character.
ROYAL SOCIETY FOR PROTECTION OF LIFE FROM FIRE, 66, Ludgate-hill.—Subscription: Governors contributing £10 10s. and upwards at one time, or subscribing £1 1s. and upwards annually. Donors of £5 5s. at one time, or subscribing 10s. annually. Subscribers paying 5s. annually. Object: By bestowing rewards, at the discretion of the society, either by the gift of medals, testimonials, or sums of money to persons who have specially distinguished themselves, or received injury while engaged in the rescue of life from lire, and by making grants to the parents, widows, or children of such persons whose deaths may have resulted from their endeavours to rescue such lives. By diffusing information relative to the best methods of securing the safety of persons in danger. By examining into, and ascertaining the merits of such inventions as from time to time may be presented to the society’s notice, and capable of being externally applied in the most ready and efficacious manner; and recommending for individuals such escapes as shall appear the best to be kept in dwelling-houses, for use in the absence of external aid. By supplying (the funds of the society permitting) suitable fire-escapes with men duly qualified to attend to and with the same, and to instruct others in the use thereof, upon such terms as the committee shall from time to time approve.
SHORTHORN SOCIETY OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 12, Hanover-square. — Subscription: Life members, in addition to an entrance fee of £1 1s., pay on entrance a subscription of £10 10s.; annual members, in addition to an entrance fee of £1 1s., pay a subscription of £1 1s. Object: To maintain unimpaired the purity of the breed of cattle known as shorthorns, and to promote impartially the breeding of all the various tribes, families, and strains of such cattle.
SOCIETY FOR PROTECTION OF ANIMALS FROM VIVISECTION, 1, Victoria-street, Westminster. —Object: Total abolition of the practice of vivisection.
SUNDAY SOCIETY, 19, Charing. cross. — Object: To obtain the opening of museums, art galleries libraries, and gardens on Sundays.
TONTINE (THE MUTUAL) WESTMINSTER CHAMBERS ASSOCIATION LIMITED, 4, Westminster-chambers, Victoria-street.
TRAFFIC ASSOCIATION FOR THE PROTECTION OF PASSENGERS AND OWNERS OF GOODS, 70, Queen-street, Cannon-street. —Subscription: 5s. per annum ordinary members ; £1 1s. special members —i.e. those interested in goods traffic. Object: To promote the interests of passengers, &c.
Missionary Museum, Blomfield-street, Finsbury.—An exhibition of interesting objects collected by the missionaries of the London Society. Open free, daily. NEAREST Railway Station, Bishopsgate Omnibus Routes, Old Broad-street and Bishopsgate-street; Cab Rank, New Broad-street.
Model Lodging-Houses. —So many of the poorer among the working classes of London are absolutely compelled to live within easy distance of their work, that a serious problem is added to the many difficulties which arise when great metropolitan improvements are in contemplation. The destruction of whole quarters of the town, which house, however inadequately, many families, is not an enterprise to be undertaken without due regard being had to the requirements of those whose little homes are taken from them, and who, if matters are left to take their own course, have no choice but to seek refuge in the already over-crowded streets and alleys which remain untouched. Fortunately this is a question that early attracted the attention of practical philanthropists, and several associations now exist which have its solution for their object. Of these it will be sufficient to mention three of the best known, and some extracts from their respective reports will be read with interest. THE METROFOLITAN ASSOCIATION FOR IMPROVING THE DWELLINGS OF THE INDUSTRIOUS CLASSES had, at the date of it last report, 13 buildings, accommodating 1,120 families, in such diverse regions of the town as Mile End, Penge, Mayfair, Pimlico Bermondsey, Old Pancras-road &c, and it is stated that in every instance the operations of the association have produced general improvement in the neighbourhood. Wisely recognising the undesirability of any stigma of charitable relief applying to their houses, the association goes on the principle of dividing among its shareholders a fair interest on the capital invested. This may be roughly stated at about 5 per cent. The balance of profit over 5 per cent, is carried to a guarantee fund. The tenants of the association are of a most miscellaneous kind, and there is no doubt that, to a very large extent, its benefits are really available for the classes whom it is intended to serve. The average rate of mortality in the buildings of the association has been 3 per 1,000 less than that of the whole of the metropolis — a sufficient testimony of itself to the character of the buildings. THE TRUSTEES OF THE PEABODY DONATION FUND started with sums given and bequeathed by Mr. Peabody, amounting in all to half a million of money. The added money received for rent and interest has brought this capital to the magnificent sum of (in round numbers) £700,000. The principle of this fund is to devote the profits gradually to the purchase of land and the erection of buildings. At the end of 1875 nearly £150,000 was in hand and available for these purposes. Up to the present time the trustees have provided for the artisan and labouring poor of London 5,170 rooms, exclusive of bath-rooms, laundries, and washhouses. These rooms comprise 2,348 separate dwellings, occupied by nearly 10,000 persons. It was for some time feared that the class of accommodation provided was somewhat too good, and consequently too expensive for the actual artisan and labouring classes. But the table showing the employ of the tenants, which is appended to the report for 1878 is reassuring on this head. Bricklayers, cabmen, charwomen, letter-carriers, messengers, needlewomen, police-constables, porters, &c., comprise large numbers of persons who can afford to pay but very moderate rentals. The average weekly earnings of the head of each family were £1 3s. 8d. The average rent of each dwelling was 4s. 4d. per week, and if it be considered that these rents are somewhat too high, it must be remembered that many of the dwellings comprise as many as three rooms, and that the free use of water, laundries, sculleries, and bath-rooms, is included. The cheapest lodgings are naturally in Shadwell, where the rents are, for one room, 2s. to 2s. 3d. ; two rooms, 3s. to 3s. 6d.; and three rooms, 4s. to 4s. 6d. In Southwark-street the charges for the same accommodation are respectively 3s., 4s. 3d. to 4s. 9d., and 5s. 3d. to 5s. 9d. The same average prevails in Pimlico, where there are also sets of four rooms at 7s. 6d. The death-rate of the Peabody Buildings is about 180 per 1,000 below the average of all London. THE ARTIZANS, LABOURERS, AND GENERAL DWELLINGS COMPANY—In the words of its prospectus, “this company was established for the erection of improved dwellings near to the great centres of industry, but free from the annoyances arising from the proximity of manufactures.” Large estates have been secured near Clapham Junction and the Harrow-road the former, called Shaftesbury-park, is now covered with about 1,150 houses whilst the partially developed Queen’s-park Estate, Harrow-road, contains nearly 800 houses. The estates have been laid out with every regard to the latest sanitary improvements. The Shaftesbury-park Estate is readily accessible from Kensington, Victoria, Waterloo, Ludgate-hill, and London-bridge, at low fares; while the Westbourne-park Station on the Metropolitan District and Great Western Railways, and the Kensal-green Station on the Hampstead Junction and North London Railway, and the new station on the London and North-Western main line, with a good service of omnibuses, make the Queen’s-park Estate at Harrow-road almost equally accessible. The sale of intoxicating liquor is altogether excluded. The company reserves the right to prohibit sub-letting, or to limit the number of lodgers. There is a co-operative store on the Shaftesbury-park Estate as well as a handsome hall for public gatherings and society meetings; and on both estates the School Board for London has provided ample school accommodation. The houses are divided into four classes, according to accommodation and position. The smallest – the fourth-class — contains five rooms on two floors. A third-class house has an additional bed-room. In the second-class house there is an extra parlour, making in all seven rooms; while a house of the first-class has eight rooms — a bath-room being the additional accommodation. The present weekly rental, which includes rates and taxes, except in the case of the first-class houses, is as follows: an ordinary fourth-class house, 7s. 6d.; third-class, 8s. 6d.; second-class, 10s. ; first-class, 10s. and 11s. The shops, corner houses, those with larger gardens than ordinary, and some other exceptional houses, are subject to special arrangements both as to rental and purchase. The company is also prepared to sell the houses on lease for 99 years, and on easy terms, subject to a moderate ground-rent; the object being to encourage the personal acquisition of the house by payment of a slightly increased rental. All applications to rent or purchase houses must be made in the first instance to the sub-managers on the estates, and all letters must contain a stamped envelope for reply.
Models, Artists’.—Amateurs requiring living models, and not having acquaintances in art circles, will do well to apply to any respectable artists’ colourman. At most of the art and life schools information on this head can also be obtained.
Monument, Fish-street-hill- was erected by Wren to commemorate the Great Fire. It is of Portland stone, and 202 ft. high. On the pedestal there was at one time an inscription attributing the fire of 1666 to “the treachery and malice of the Popish faction, in order to carry out their horrid plot for extirpating the Protestant religion and old English liberty, and the introducing Popery and slavery,” but this absurdity has been very properly cancelled. The top is reached by 345 stairs. The charge of admission is 3d. It will be remembered that, according “Martin Chuzzlewit,” the man in charge considered it quite worth twice the money not to make the ascent. NEAREST Railway Station Cannon-street; Omnibus Routes Cannon-street, King William st, Gracechurch-st, and Fenchurch-st; Cab Rank, Opposite.
Monte Video.—(See URUGUAY)
Moving.—It was “Poor Richard’s” maxim that three removes were as bad as a fire, but we order this matter better nowadays. The inconveniences which are, under the best of circumstances, inseparable from the process of moving are now reduced a minimum. It is easier, not say cheaper, to transfer the household gods from London to Penzance now than it was a few yeatd back to cart them from Brixton to Islington. There are several respectable and extensively-advertised firms who take all trouble and responsibility at inclusive rates. No attempt can be made here to give a list of charges, as these necessarily vary according to the circumstances of each particular case.
Museum, British, Great Russell-street, Bloomsbury. Free. With the year 1879 this institution commenced a new era. For a century it was scarcely anything else than a storehouse of the treasures of the ancient world, an the curiosities of science, literature, and art; but today its invaluable accumulations are being brought out and adapted to the uses of age, and the public are invited to profit by the many beautiful lessons they can silently but surely teach. The British Museum is now open every day (except during the first week in February, May, and October, when the rooms are cleaned), and the baby in arms no longer excluded. On Monday and Saturday all the galleries are thrown open; on Tuesday and Thursday all except the natural history collections (then reserved for students); on Wednesday and Friday all except the antiquities on the upper floor and the rest of the department of Greek and Roman antiquities (set apart on those days for fine-art students). The hours of admission are from 10 (Saturday 12) all the year round, in January, February, November, December, till 4; March, April, September, October, till 5; and May to August till 6. On Monday and Saturday from May 8 till the middle of July till 8, and onwards till the end of August till 7. This variety in the hours of opening is occasioned by the duration of daylight, as the Museum is not artificially lighted: experiments have, however, been tried in the reading-room with the electric light, which will be continued. Admission to the reading-room (for study and copying), to the department of prints and drawings (for the same), to the sculpture galleries (to draw from statues and busts), to the coin and medal room (for study), and to the zoological, fossil, mineral, and botanical collections (for examination of specimens), is granted on application to the principal librarian, supported by the recommendation of a householder or someone of known position. To save trouble, the recommendation of a person whose name can be found in the ordinary directories should be sent. The British Museum was first opened on the 15th January, 1759. Its principal components were then the Museum of Sir Hans Sloane, of Chelsea (bought for £20,000), the Cottonian library (presented by Sir J. Cotton, 1700), and the Harleian manuscripts (acquired for £10,000). By Act of Parliament, passed in 1753, the institution was vested in trustees for the nation, the £30,000 required for the Sloane and Harley collections, with a further sum to fund for salaries and expenses, was raised by a lottery sanctioned by the same Act. These tributaries to the stream of knowledge were deposited in Montagu House, a mansion standing in its own grounds, which are now occupied by the present building. The Museum may be roughly described as a square formed of four wings, the central space covered by a separate structure —the Reading-room. It is an imposing fabric of the Grecian Ionic order, designed by Sir Robert Smirke. Passing into the hall from the stately portico, you have on the right hand books and manuscripts: The GRENVILLE LIBRARY (rarest editions and finest examples of typography, with block books, valued at £54,000, bequeathed); the MANUSCRIPT DEPARTMENT (50,00 volumes, 45,000 charters and rolls, 7,000 seals, and 100 ancient papyri, including the Cotton, Harley, Lansdowne, Egerton, and additional collections); the MANUSCRIPT SALOON (autograph letters of eminent persons, illuminated manuscripts, rich bindings, and great seals); the KING’S LIBRARY (65,000 volumes, presented by George IV., remarkable productions of the printing-presses of Europe and Asia. In the same library an EXHIBITION OF DRAWINGS by Turner, Cox, Girtin, Cozens, Muller, and Canaletto, Henderson bequest, 1878 of engraved Portraits, historical Prints, and Playing-cards; and of the choicest Medals in the national cabinet, with electrotypes of the finest ancient Coins. On the left you have the ROMAN GALLERY (Busts of Emperors, Roman antiquities found in England); three GRAECO-ROMAN GALLERY (sculptures of the Greek school, found chiefly in Italy, including the Townley, £20,000, Payne-Knight, valued with other antiquities at £60,000, bequeathed, Farnese, Cyrene, and Priene marbles, including the Venus from Ostia, the Discobolos, Giustiniani Apollo, Clytie, Muses, Mercury, Satyrs; and in the basement, mosaics, tessellated pavements); the ARCHAIC GREEK ROOM (Harpy Tomb from Xanthus, seated figures from Branchidae, Etruscan sepulchral monument); the MAUSOLEUM ROOM (one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world, the colossal chariot-tomb erected to Mausolos by his sister-wife Artemisia, discovered by C. T. Newton); the ELGIN ROOM (grandest remains of Greek sculpture, the Parthenon marbles and procession-frieze, works of Pheidias, greatest of Greek sculptors; purchased in 1816 of Lord Elgin for £35,000, now priceless; also colossal Lion from Cnidus; figured columns of the Temple of Diana of Ephesus, recovered by J. Turtle Wood, 1863-75); the HELLENIC ROOM (frieze, &c., of Temple of Apollo, erected at Phigalia by Iktinos excavated by C. R. Cockerell purchased for £19,000; the Diadumenos, athlete). ASSYRIAN GALLERIES: Sculptured slabs from Nineveh, now Kouyunjik, and Babylon, acquired during the Layard, Loftus, Geo. Smith Daily Telegraph, and Rassam explorations; illustrating most completely the daily life, religion warfare, art, literature, and customs of the Assyrians and Babylonians, and bearing strong testimony to the accuracy of portions of Biblical history. The clusters of Assyrian ivories, bronzes, seals, and glass are unrivalled, and the cuneiform tablets are a library in themselves; the Creation, Fall of Man, and Deluge tablets, Seals of Ilgi, B.C. 2050, Sennacherib, Darius, Assyrian accounts of Sennacherib’s expedition against Hezekiah, the Siege of Lachish. In Basement: Lion hunts by Assurbanipal III., Sardanapalus, very finely wrought, also processions, dogs, &c. EGYPTIAN GALLERIES: Colossal statues of divinities and Pharaohs, “the Vocal Memnon” sarcophagi, graveyard tablets, obelisks, fresco paintings, hieroglyphics, the Rosetta stone, key to Egyptian language; from Memphis, Abydos, Thebes, Karnak, Luxor; dating from the time of Abraham to the Ptolemies, in beautiful state of preservation. On Staircase : Papyri, the pictured Ritual of the Dead. Most of the larger sculptures were surrendered to the English on the capitulation of Alexandria in 1801. Antiquities from Cyprus: small statues, busts, and miscellaneous ornaments. Before you in the hall is the new LYCIAN ROOM: Sculptures from Lycia, obtained by Sir C. Fellows, lofty tombs, friezes, Statues of Nereids, graceful and expressive of motion. On the floor above are the galleries containing the smaller objects of antiquity: Egyptian mummies, embalmed animals, coffins, sepulchral ornaments, representations of divinities in gold, silver, and porcelain; furniture, ivories, bronzes, vases, dresses, weapons, and tools. The GLASS COLLECTIONS: Slade and Temple cabinets; Egyptian, Phoenician, Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Venetian, French, German, Dutch, and Spanish examples; “Christian glass.” WITT COLLECTION: illustrating the bath of the ancients; Roman ware; Cyprus pottery VASE ROOMS : Painted fictile vases, Hamilton, Canino, Payne, Knight, and other collections, from tombs, principally Etruscan and Greek; illustrating by paintings the divine and heroic legends of the Greeks ; mural paintings, terra-cotta statuettes, drinking. cups, toys, &c. BRONZE ROOM: Greek, Etruscan and Roman bronzes, deities, heroes, mirrors, candelabra, lamps, vases; head of Artemis (finest period of Greek art), Venus, Bacchus, Apollo, Hercules, seated philosopher, Meleager, Mercury. BRITISH AND MEDIEVAL ROOM: British antiquities anterior to the Roman-invasion, Roman antiquities found in Britain; Anglo-Saxon objects, flint implements, pottery, cave. remains, weapons; early Christian lamps, crosses, medieval carvings in ivory, bells, clockwork, enamels, pottery, and majolica. The Franks’ Collection, descriptive of the Keramic art of the far East, presented to the nation by Mr. A. W. Franks, and valued at £6,000, will be removed from the Bethnal Green Museum to this department when the natural history collections shall have been transferred to South Kensington. ETHNOGRAPHICAL ROOM: Idols, fetishes, dresses, ornaments, implements, and weapons of the savage races of the world, including the articles gathered by Captain Cook in the South Sea Islands. PREHISTORIC ROOM: The Christy Collection, bequeathed in 1866 will be shortly brought from 103, Victoria-street; the room is now occupied by the Meyrick armour, carvings in ivory and wood, enamels, &c., presented in 1878; and the Henderson Collection, bequeathed in the same year, comprising oriental arms, metal work, Persian, Rhodian and Damascus pottery, majolica and glass. ORNAMENT AND GEM ROOM: Payne-Knight Strozzi (Blacas) (purchased in 1866 with other antiquities for £40,000), Castellani, and other collections; the Portland Vase ancient gold, silver, and amber ornaments; fine illustrations of the goldsmith’s art among the Etruscans, Greeks, and Romans, intaglios and cameos unsurpassed for delicacy and beauty; Byzantine, Teutonic; Anglo-Saxon and later Ornaments; Keltic gold breast-plate and rings. Beyond the new Lycian room is the READING ROOM: Tickets to view are given by the messenger in the hall; circular structure; original suggestion of Thomas Watts, improved by A. (Sir A.) Panizzi, carried out by Mr. Sidney Smirke; dome 140 feet in diameter, height 106 feet; 60,000 books in the three tiers inside; space for 1,500,000 inside and out; here in the basement are also the Map and Chart Departments, newspaper and music libraries. There are 1,300,000 volumes in the department of printed books at the present date. The Reading-room is open daily from nine November to February till four, March, September, and October till five, rest of year till six. Beyond, in the north wing, is the old library, in a part of which, once the Reading-room, T. Carlyle and Lord Macaulay worked; it is now the cataloguing department of the assistants and copyists. It may be noted here that, under the new regulations, tickets for the reading-room are not renewed; once on the register always a reader and there is no need to show the ticket if the reader is known to the doorkeeper. Persons under twenty-one are not admitted, except in very special cases indeed. The Department of PRINTS AND DRAWINGS: Entrance on staircase at the top of the Egyptian gallery the richest assemblage of etchings and engravings in Europe ; open to students every day in the week at ten ; closes at four all the year round except from the beginning of April to the end of July, when it is shut at five. Contains the collections of Sloane (including the Albrecht Dürer drawings), Payne-Knight, Cracherode, Cunningham, early Italian and German prints; Lawrence drawings; Hamilton, Townley, Moll, Sheepshanks, Rembrandt etchings, Harding, Morghen, Gell, Craven, Ed. Hawkins (caricatures), Slade, and Henderson. The Department of COINS AND MEDALS has the choicest and most extensive numismatic cabinets in the world, scientifically arranged; and includes the Roberts, Payne-Knight, Marsden, Temple, De Salis, Wigan, Blacas, Woodhouse, and Bank of England cabinets. Lastly are the Natural History collections, which will be shortly placed in the elegant terra-cotta building in the Cromwell-road, near the South Kensington Museum, designed by Mr. Alfred Waterhouse. It will be sufficient to say that they occupy the remainder of the upper floor of the British Museum; that the ZOOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS comprise, in large part, the specimens brought together by Sir Hans Sloane, mammals, &c.; Colonel Montagu, ornithology; Hardwicke, Indian animals; Hodgson, mammals and birds; Yarrell, fishes; Ross and Be1cher, antarctic specimens; Stephens, entomology, 88,000 specimens; Bowring, entomology; Reeves, vertebrate animals from China; Clark, coleoptera; Hugh Cuming, shells, the largest collection ever formed, acquired in 1866; A. R. Wallace, birds; Dr. Bowerbank, sponges; and the specimens collected during the Transit of Venus Expedition (1875), and the recent Arctic exploration. The GEOLOGICAL DEPARTMENT comprises fossil plants, fishes, reptiles (South African, &c.), saurians, wingless birds, gigantic eggs, sponges, corals, shells, insects, the mammoth, megatherium, pigmy elephant, human remains, principally formed from the collections of Dr. Solander, Hawkins, Mantell, Dr. Croizet, Bain, &c., and extensive purchases. The MINERAL DEPARTMENT includes a splendid collection of meteorites, aerolites, siderolites, portions of other planets, and aerial formations; the Melbourne meteorite, three and a half tons ; the collections of Greville, Greg, Kokscharoff, &c. a well-arranged series of minerals, including diamonds, gold nuggets, crystals, and gems of every variety and degree of purity and splendour. In the BOTANICAL DEPARTMENT are flowerless plants, fungi, sea-weeds, lichens, mosses, ferns, flowering plants, grasses and sedges, palms, cycads, conifers, parasitical plants, fruits and stems, fossil plants, polished sections of woods, cones, &c., from the herbaria of Sir Hans Sloane, 1753, Sir Joseph Banks, 1827, Robert Brown, Rev. R. Blight, and others. Admission to study the herbarium and mounted specimens, daily ten till four, is granted on application to the principal librarian. The PORTRAITS, until lately hung in the Zoological Gallery, have been for the most part handed over to the National Portrait Gallery. NEAREST Railway Stations, Gower-st (Metrop.) and Temple (Dist.); Omnibus Routes, Oxford-st, Tottenham-court-road, and Euston-road. Cab Ranks, Bury-st and Southampton-row.
Music Halls—The music-hall, as it is at present understood, was started many years ago at the Canterbury Hall over the water. The entertainments proving popular, the example was speedily followed in every quarter of the town. The performance in no way differs, except in magnitude, from those which are to be seen in every town of any importance throughout the country. Ballet, gymnastics, and so-called comic singing, form the staple of the bill of fare, but nothing comes foreign to the music-hall proprietor. Performing animals, winners of walking. matches, successful scullers, shipwrecked sailors, swimmers of the Channel, conjurers, ventriloquists, tight-rope dancers, campanologists, clog-dancers, sword-swallowers, velocipedists, champion skaters, imitators, marionettes, decanter equilibrists, champion shots, “living models of marble gems,” “statue marvels,” fire princes, “mysterious youths,” “spiral bicycle ascensionists,” flying children, empresses of the air, kings of the wire, “vital sparks,” Mexican boneless wonders,” white-eyed musical Kaffirs,’ strong-jawed ladies, cannon-ball performers, illuminated fountains, and that remarkable musical eccentricity the orchestre militaire, all have had their turn on the music-hall stage. Strangers to the business may be warned that the word “turn,’ as understood in the profession, means the performance for which the artist is engaged, and frequently comprises four or more songs, however much or little of pleasure the first effort may have given the audience. Furthermore, as many of the popular performers take several “turns” nightly, it is undesirable to visit many of these establishments on the same evening, as it is quite possible to go to four or five halls in different parts of the town, and to find widely diverse stages occupied by the same sets of performers. Among the principal halls may be mentioned the Bedford, in Camden Town; the Canterbury, Westminster-bridge-road; the Foresters, Cambridge-rd, E.; Gatti’s, Westminster-bridge-road; the London Pavilion, at the top of the Haymarket; Evans’s, Covent-garden; the Metropolitan, Edgware-road; the Oxford, Oxford-street; the Cambridge, 136, Commercial-street; Lusby’s Palace, Mile End-road; the Royal, High Holborn; the South London, London-road, SE. ; and Wilton’s in Wellclose-square, in the far east. Of these the Canterbury, the Metropolitan, and the South London have a specialty for ballet on a large scale. The Canterbury has an arrangement for ventilation peculiar to itself. A large portion of the roof is so arranged as to admit of its easy and rapid removal and replacement. The entertainments at the other halls vary only in degree. The operatic selections which were at one time the distinguishing feature of the Oxford have of late years been discontinued. A curiosity in the way of music-halls may be found by the explorer at the “Bell,” in St. George-street, Ratcliff-highway, where, contrary to precedent, the negro element preponderates among the audience instead of on the stage. The hours of performance at most music-halls are from about 8 till 11.30, and the prices of admission vary from 6d. to 3s. Private boxes, at varying prices, may be had at nearly all the music-halls.
Music, National Training School for. Established by The Society of Arts. — The school building was presented by Mr. C. J. Freake to the nation on a site adjoining the Albert Hall. A large number of scholarships have been founded by royal personages, public institutions, and generous amateurs. The scheme, although doubtless well-intentioned, has not yet resulted in any striking success. Whether it be founded on a firm basis or no must be left for time to deride. Detailed information can be. obtained at Kensington-gore. NEAREST Railway Station, High-street, Kensington; Omnibus Route, Kensington-road; Cab Rank, Queen’s-gate.
Music, Royal Academy of, Tenterden-street, Hanover-square.—All branches of music are taught at the academy, and students may choose any one for their principal study. In addition to this there are other obligatory classes. Candidates for admission must be recommended, and on presenting themselves for admission must take music they can perform. The principal scholarships are the Westmorland for vocalists, open to ladies between the ages of 18 and 24 ; the Potter, open to ladies and gentlemen ; the Sterndale Bennett; the Sir John Goss; the Thalberg; the Novello; the Lady Goldsmid, for pianist; and the Balfe, for composition. There is also a scholarship, founded by Mr. Carl Rosa, in memory of the late Madame Parepa Rosa, for ladies who have not been students at the academy. The successful candidate to be entitled to two years’ free musical education at the academy. There is in addition a long list of prizes and medals for proficiency in every branch of the musical art, and under the most varied conditions. Application for admission should be made to the secretary, at the academy, who will also furnish all particulars that may be desired. NEAREST Railway Station, Portland-road Omnibus Routes, Oxford-street and Regent-street ; Cab Ranks, Oxford-market and Conduit-street.